"In this classroom, relationships are fostered, families are respected, and children are honored.
In this classroom, nature's gifts are valued and children's thoughts are captured.
In this classroom, learning is alive and aesthetic beauty is appreciated." -Unknown

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Conversation and Problem Solving with Preschoolers


As part of our GEMS: Elephants and Their Young study, we have been doing lots of hands-on learning activities, reading books, and learning facts about elephants. I found the DVD, Disney's Whispers: An Elephant's Tale two years ago when we last did the study, at our local library, and recalled how rich the story-line was in it. I knew when planning the unit that I wanted to check the movie out again. If you can't find it locally, you can click on the title above to find it on Amazon. It has actual footage, but has voice-overs kind of like Homeward Bound.

We don't ever just put in a movie for the class, so I was showing ten or so minutes of the movie each day. We got to the scene where elephant calf, Whispers was with grown elephant female, Groove and he was very thirsty. They came to a watering hole and Groove asked Whispers if he should go get a drink. He tells her he should and she informs him that there are nine lions waiting around the watering hole, so he shouldn't go. At this point, my kids began throwing out suggestions of how the elephants could get to the water. I turned off the movie and began our conversation. It went something like this: 



Child 1: "The elephant could put on a lion costume and get a drink."
Me: "Well, are elephants and lions the same size?"
Child 1: "No, elephants are bigger, but when it put on the lion costume, it could pull it tight so it's small."

The elephant and the lion costume she will wear.
I told the group I wanted to write their ideas down, so I wrote the problem at the top, then as each child shared, I wrote their "solution". 


Child 2: "The grass could camouflage them so they could sneak up to the water." (This friend is really into army stuff and camouflage lately, so his response didn't surprise me.)
Me: "OK, I'll write your idea on the board."


Child 3: "They could go under the water."
Me: "That might work, but I have a question. Did you see the water at that watering hole?"
Child 3: "Yes."
Me: "Do you think it was deep enough for them to go under it?"
Child 3: "No, I don't think so."
Me: "I don't think so either, but that's a good idea and might work if the water were deeper."


Child 4: "They could put grass on them to hide them."
Me:"So, would that be camouflage, like D suggested?"
Child 4: "Yes, it would be good camouflage."


Child 5: "They could sneak in when the lions were sleeping."
Me: "Oh, OK. That might work."

I also discussed what a decoy is and gave an example of one going in to distract them and asked if that would work. They have been learning about the strong relationships the elephants in the her have with each other, so they decided that they wouldn't want one to get hurt to help the others.

In addition, I introduced the concept of a stampede and we discussed what that would look like. I asked if that was a possible solution. They decided that wouldn't work either because they would stop to drink and could get attacked.


After all five possible solutions were written on the board, I asked each child to vote for the one solution they thought would work the best. We introduced the concept of tally marks as we voted and then counted the votes.

As you can see, sneaking in when the lions are sleeping got the most votes, but one child expressed concern that the lions were pretending and weren't really asleep, kind of like the opossum in a book read earlier in the year called Don't Laugh, Joe!

After the session I asked each child who suggested a solution to draw a picture of their idea. 

I love it when an idea prompts them to question and try to come up with a solution, then modifying their answer after additional information is provided. 

Some prompting questions should start with "How..." and "Why..." You'll note a couple of my questions were "yes or no" questions. It's good to mix it up a little. It's also important not to ask too many questions that you know the answer to, but are trying to get them to remember.

Of course, hindsight is 20/20 and I can only wish I had the iPad at the ready and videotaped it, but all in all, amazing time. 

This is a great link for asking thinking questions: http://learning.qahs.org.uk/files/2013/01/Thinking-Qs.jpg 





20 comments:

  1. I like that you had them vote on the solutions. That is a great way to get everyone involved and thinking!

    Thank you for stopping by the Thoughtful Spot Weekly Blog Hop this week. We hope to see you drop by our neck of the woods next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jill. When they began throwing out solutions, I just knew I needed to document and like you inferred, not everyone came up with a solution. By having them vote, each child could choose their favorite.

      Delete
  2. What a great way to get the whole class involved and problem solving together. I bet there are some brilliant follow up activities that could be done outdoors. I wonder if these conversations entered their play at all?
    Thanks for sharing at the Outdoor Play Party. Hope to see you there again :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see quite a bit of role-playing take place and they continued to talk about elephants for weeks after this.

      Delete
  3. Yeah this is quite important I believe. You need to have conversation with toddlers and should be able to solve their problems. My cousin works in one of best Phoenix kindergarten and she told me that they emphasize a lot on this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't break your head any more. It's time to use essay kings, and get a higher mark. It's a perfect service www.essaykings.me for bloggers and student. I also use it for my personal needs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to know about your learning activities, reading books and learning facts about elephants. These are best kinds of activities that help the kids learn real life facts. For more ideas for such activities and practice tests I personally use http://www.kidsfront.com/class/3rd-class.html.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this blog are more informative contents step by step. I here attached my site would you see this blog.

    7 tips to start a career in digital marketing

    “Digital marketing is the marketing of product or service using digital technologies, mainly on the Internet, but also including mobile phones, display advertising, and any other digital medium”. This is the definition that you would get when you search for the term “Digital marketing” in google. Let’s give out a simpler explanation by saying, “the form of marketing, using the internet and technologies like phones, computer etc”.

    we have offered to the advanced syllabus course digital marketing for available

    more details click the link now.

    https://www.webdschool.com/digital-marketing-course-in-chennai.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I learn something tougher on different blogs everyday. It'll at all times be stimulating to learn content from other writers and observe somewhat one thing from their store. I’d choose to use some with the content on my blog whether or not you don’t mind. Natually I’ll offer you a link in your internet blog. Thanks for sharing.
    I really appreciate this post. I¡¦ve been looking everywhere for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing.

    Read More: German shepherd husky mix

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love what you guys are up too. Such clever work and exposure! Keep up the very good works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to my own blogroll.
    I am only commenting to let you know of the remarkable experience our girl encountered reading the blog.

    Read More: German shepherd husky mix

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you looking for the best preschool in India for your kids? If yes, click on the links given below. We are the leading Preschool Franchisee in India.

    Preschool in Borivali
    Preschool in Madhanur
    Preschool in Kalyan West

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for such valuable information about Problem Solving with Preschoolers, if you would like to know more about best schools in Bengaluru, visit Good Schools In North Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  11. Zee interior is a renowned name in the field of Interior designing Patna, they successfully created a niche in the Interior designing industry by providing the best interior designing company in patna노블홈타이
    노블홈타이
    노블홈타이
    노블홈타이
    노블홈타이
    노블홈타이
    노블홈타이
    노블홈타이

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your blog post about the fascinating connection between elephants and gems was a truly captivating read. It's amazing how nature's wonders are intertwined in ways we might not even realize.
    can walmart gift cards be used for gas

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was absolutely captivated by your blog post about elephants and their incredible intelligence, Ms. Barbara! It's truly remarkable how these majestic creatures exhibit such complex behaviors and emotions.
    frugalishness

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Your blog is not just a collection of articles; it's a journey of exploration and learning. The thoughtfulness and care you put into your writing make it a joy to follow. Looking forward to the continued brilliance!"
    dressvy discount code

    ReplyDelete